Topics of Engineering
1. Design and analysis of combination networks: universal logic functions, basics of systematic system design.
2. Description of combination networks: logic functions, truth tables, schematics and Karnaugh maps.
3. Ideal and realistic components, properties of real components: cause of non-ideal behavior, propagation delay, hazards in combination networks
4. Definition of sequential networks, classification of sequential networks.
5. Development and analysis of sequential networks: Basic latches, use and behavior of ip- ops, development of network from gates and latches.
6. Analysis of sequential networks, state-tables, state functions, state-diagrams, next-state maps. Race situation and oscillation in sequential networks.
7. Basic schematics of important logic network families and their properties, such as RTL, DTL, TTL, CMOS. Basic register schematics and basics of their operation.
8. Static and dynamic properties of digital circuits, properties of rising/falling edges and propagation delays, transfer characteristic of basic gates, static and dynamic power consumption.
Topics of Software Design and Development
You are expected to have general knowledge of the topics, to present examples, to present pseudocodes of relevant algorithms, to analyze algorithms’ efficiency, or occasionally provide C# code. There might be questions that involve several topics (e.g. compare the insertion sort, quicksort and heapsort algorithms).
1. The basics of algorithms
The concept of the algorithm, ow structures, tools for describing the algorithm (block diagram, box diagram, and pseudocode), efficiency, effectiveness, big O notation
2. Simple Basic Programs
BP Sequence, BP Decision, BP Selection, BP Linear Search, BP Counting, BP Maximum Search
3. Compound Basic Programs
BP Copy, BP Picking, BP Separation, BP Intersection, BP Union, BP Merge (union of sorted arrays)
4. Combining Basic Programs
Combining BP Copy with BP Maximum Search, Combining BP Counting with BP Linear Search, Combining BP Maximum Search with BP Picking, Combining BP Picking with BP Maximum Search, Combining BP, Picking with BP Copy
Sorting with Simple Changes (SSC), Minimum Selection Sort (MSS), Bubble Sort (BS), Modified Bubble Sort, Insertion Sort (IS), Modified Insertion Sort (MIS), Shell Sort (SHS)
Linear Search in a sorted sequence, Binary Search, Application of Binary Search, applications of Binary Search: BP Decision, BP Selection, BP Picking and BP Counting for sorted sequences
Set as a data structure, creation of a set out of a sorted array; check whether an array is a set, membership, inclusion, subset, Union, intersection, subtraction, complement, symmetric difference
8. Recursion 1
Idea of recursion, general model, recursive function call, advantages and disadvantages. Program transformations: R ! I transformation, I ! R transformation, examples.
9. Recursion 2
Recursive conversion of a number to another base Recursive and iterative factorial, Recursive and iterative. Fibonacci algorithm, recursive binomial (bin, bin1, bin2), Hanoi towers, String reversal (reverse, reverse1), palindrome (palindrome, palindrome1, and palindrome2), power and power1
10. Advanced sorting 1
Recursive Merge Sort, Recursive Quicksort. Description, performance, randomized version.
11. Advanced sorting 2
Heap, min-heap and max-heap, heap algorithms, heapsort.
12. Advanced sorting 3
Distribution sort, counting sort, radix sort, bucket sort.
13. Dynamic Programming
Greedy algorithms. Divide-and-Conquer strategy, the idea of Dynamic Programming, the knapsack-problem. Longest Common Subsequences. Matrix Chain Multiplication.
The idea of backtracking, the 8-queens problem
Definitions, comparison with the array, list algorithms (traversal, search, insert, delete).
16. Sorted linked lists. Definitions, algorithms (traversal, search, insert, delete), sentinel nodes, special linked lists (doubly, multiply, circular)
17. Graphs 1
Directed, undirected, weighted graphs, graph as data structure, path, connectivity, Cycles, Components. Finding an acyclic path (the labyrinth problem: Theseus, Ariadne and Minotaur).
18. Graphs 2
Minimum-weight spanning trees (Kruskal, Prim).
19. Graphs 3
20. Binary Search Tree
Concept of a tree, definitions, binary tree, binary search tree, BST operations (lookup, traversals, insert, remove)
Definitions, advantages, disadvantages, insert a node, remove a node.
The idea, direct addressing, various hashing tables, universal hashing, collision, solutions.
23. Object oriented programming
Inheritance, overriding, hiding, problems of multiple inheritance, polymorphism, non-virtual and virtual methods.
Implicit and explicit interfaces, sorting example
25. Event handling
Function pointers, events, delegates, examples.
26. Exception handling
Advantages, system exceptions, application exceptions, your own exceptions, exception rethrow, best practices, examples